Previous

Arcola

Next
Call No.
LXX-1386


"Town (PO 1889- ) west of Carlyle on the Red Coat Trail.
Named by the first postmaster, Peter McLellan (1889-93), after the village in northern Italy where Napoleon defeated the Austrians in 1800. The PO had originally been located at 14-8-4-W2. When it relocated to the railway station, it also absorbed CLARE (18-8-4-W2, 1884-1901) which had been named for County Clare, Ireland, at the suggestion of Matt Morrison."
-from People Places courtesy of Bill Barry