Previous

Gainsborough

Next
Call No.
LXX-144


"Village (PO 1895- ) east of Carnduff on #18.
The conventional wisdom is that the name honours Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England, as selected by J.J. Sadler. This is the version which appears in What's in a Name and elsewhere. However, CP's records are explicit that it is after Thomas Gainsborough (1727-88), English portrait and landscape artist. CP's version is undoubtedly correct. When the railway reached the site in 1892, the post office here was known as ANTLER (from 1884), and it did not switch over to the CPR name until 1895. Yet a school district formed the year the CPR arrived was christened Gainsborough, using the railway's name."
-from People Places courtesy of Bill Barry