Valley
Views
Fort
Qu'Appelle
Indian
Head
Lebret Lumsden Qu'Appelle Other
Communities




Industrial School, [Lebret], Qu'Appelle Valley, Sask.

"The village of Lebret (Post Office 1886-) is east of Fort Qu'Appelle on the #56 highway.

After Father Louis Lebret, briefly the first postmaster. When Fr. Hugonard became the prinicpal of the Indian Residential school in 1884, Fr. Lebret succeeded him as parish priest. He applied to change the name of the church from St. Florent to Sacré Coeur de Jésus (it is Sacred Heart of Jesus today), and also applied for a post office under the same name. The Post Office Department rejected the name, probably because of its length. Apparently a Senator Girard, who knew Fr. Lebret, intervened and arranged to have the post office called Lebret. The locale had been know as ST. FLORENT (named by Bishop Taché after his friend Fr. Florent Vandenburgh OMI) from 1865, or the MISSION from 1872, when the Oblate Fathers had established a mission here. In 1928 the village council went so far as to petition the provincial government to change the name back to Mission, but there was enough outcry that the request died."

-from People Places courtesy of Bill Barry