Valley
Views
Fort
Qu'Appelle
Indian
Head
Lebret Lumsden Qu'Appelle Other
Communities




Lake Katepwa near Indian Head, Sask.

Katepwa Beach Last Mountain Lake Regina Beach Tantallon Whitewood


Katepwa Beach

"Resort village (summer Post Office 1929-69) on Katepwa Lake north of Indian Head on [highway] #56.

A variant of the Cree kâ-têpwêt meaning 'one who calls.' From this were derived the English 'who calls?' and the French 'qui appelle?', the antecedents for the name of the Calling Lakes and the Qu'Appelle River. The rural Post Office of KATEPWE (...,1884-1914) was in the valley five miles to the southwest of today's resort."


Top

Last Mountain Lake

"Bird sanctuary and game preserve at the north end of Last Mountain Lake. More than 15,000 hectares, the sanctuary was established in 1888 and is the oldest such preserve in North America.

Indian reserve No.80A just west of Regina Beach. The reserve consists of 1,400 acres originally set aside as fishing grounds for, and jointly held by, Day Star, Gordon, Muskowekwan, Muscowpetung, Pasqua, Piapot and Kawacatoose First Nations. At the southern end of the lake. The reserve has been developed by the bands as the Kinookimaw resort."




Top

Regina Beach

"Town (Post Office 1912- ) north of Lumsden on [highway] #54.

Named in honour of the city. For many years the Canadian Pacific Railway ran special excursion trains to take holidayers from Regina to Regina Beach."


Top

Tantallon

"Village (Post Office 1897- ) southeast of Esterhazy in the Qu'Appelle valley.

After Tantallon Castle, the stronghold of the Douglas clan, on the North Sea coast just east of North Berwick, East Lothian, Scotland. The name was selected by James Moffat Douglas, a Presbyterian minister from Moosomin who took out a homestead at Tantallon. Douglas later served as the MP for Assiniboia East. Tantallon was originally located at 14-18-32-W1. When it relocated to Canadian Pacific Railway's station site in the valley in 1903, it absorbed the nearby VALLEY VIEW post office."




Top

Whitewood

"Town (Post Office WHITEWOOD STATION 1883-94, WHITEWOOD 1894- ) north east of Moosomin on highways #1 and #9.

The name was inspired by a large grove of white poplars which once dominated approaches to the commmunity."


-descriptions from People Places courtesy of Bill Barry

Top