You are hereManuscripts
The following items in the manuscript collection are available in digital format (additional items will be posted on a regular basis):
I.E.3. History of Social Thought -- Two Notebooks. Two handwritten manuscript notebooks of Sorokin's lecture notes on the "History of Social Thought".
The full manuscript holdings available in the Sorokin Collection are listed below:
A. Books and Monographs by P. A. Sorokin
1. The Criminality of Ruling Groups - typescript with holograph corrections - pp. 1-82, 11 published copy not in collection.
2. A Long Journey: Autobiography of Pitirim A. Sorokin
i) Typescript with manuscript corrections, p. 1-270
ii) Carbon copy of typescript with MSS corrections, p. 1-264
3. The Nature of Sociology and Its Relation to Other Sciences
- typescript with MSS corrections pp 1 I 138 (missing p. 1 & 2 in chapter 2 and p 9-13 chapter 5).
4. Sociological Theories of Today - typescript with MSS corrections
i) Preface and Chapters 2 and 3 p. 1 - 64.
ii) Chapters 4-6 p. 65 - 93.
iii) Chapters 7-11.
iv) Chapters 12 & 13
v) Chapters 14-16.
vi) Chapters 17 & 18.
vii) photocopy of manuscript ; 494 - 917 (p. 760 missing).
5. Who Shall Guard the Guardians: An Essay on Morality, Mentality Reconstruction of Ruling Groups - typescript with MSS corrections p. 1 - 152.
B. Articles, Addresses and Papers by P. A. Sorokin
1. "Altruism" manuscript with MSS corrections p. 1 - 10.
Two revised transcript copies with MSS corrections p. 1 - 10.
2. "Essential Characteristics of the Russian Nation in the Twentieth Century". Manuscript and typescript with MSS corrections pp 1 - 30.
3. "How Dangerous Is Our Sex Freedom?" carbon copy of the typescript submitted to This Week for publication, pp 1 - 9.
4. "Objective Results of Vietnamese Police Action" typescript with MSS corrections, pp 1 - 11.
5. "Similarities and Dissimilarities Between Two Sociological Systems" Two typescript copies with a few minor MSS corrections pp 1 - 10.
6. "Some Activities of the Harvard Research Center in Creative Altruism" Three carbon copies typescript pp 1 - 7.
7. "Theses on Integrated Education." Typescript with MSS corrections p. 1 - 4.
8. "Unselfish Creative Love Freedom." Typescript, p. 1 - 3.
9. "The Western Man in a Search for His New-Home (Prognosis of the Sociocultural Shape of the Western World in This and the Twenty-First Centuries)." Manuscript and typescript with MSS corrections, p. 1 - 27.
10. Diversity and Unity in Sociology. Typescript, p. 1-22.
C. Forewords and Prefaces by P. A. Sorokin.
1. Contemporary Sociological Theories. A carbon copy of Sorokin's Preface to the Hindi edition of Contemporary Sociological Theories, p. 1.
2. Russian Ideologies and the Messianism of the Orient by E. Sarkisyanz. Typescript and carbon copy of Sorokin's Foreward to E. Sarkisyanz's book, p. 1 - 2.
D. Reviews by Sorokin.
1. Freud or Jung by Edward Glover (New York: W. W. Norton & Co., 1950) carbon copy 1 p.
2. Man and Society in an Age of Reconstruction: Studies in Modern Social Structure by Karl Mannheim (New York: Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1940) carbon copy p. 1 - 2.
3. The Phenomenon of Man by P. T. de Chardin. Carbon copy p. 1 - 6.
4. Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith, History of Social Theory, p. 1-18.
E. Lecture and Research Notes by P. A. Sorokin
1. Contemporary Social Theories. Three notebooks containing Sorokin's lecture and research notes on the subject of Contemporary Social Theories. Manuscript.
2. (i) The Criminality of Ruling Groups Notes and materials pertaining to Sorokin's book The Criminality of Ruling Groups. MSS and typescript.
(ii) Criminology. A notebook containing Sorokin's lecture notes on criminology. MSS.
3. History of Social Thought. Two notebooks pertaining to Sorokin's lectures on the history of Social Thought. MSS.
4. Migration. Two notebooks pertaining to Sorokin's lectures and studies of the migration of agricultural classes. MSS.
5. Mobility of Social Things. Two notebooks pertaining to Sorokin's study of the mobility of various social groups. MSS and a few clippings from Russian newspapers.
6. Modern Social Theories. A notebook pertaining to Sorokin's study of modern Social theories. MSS.
7. Problems of Sociological Method. A notebook containing Sorokin's lecture notes and exam questions for his Sociology class on the problems of Sociological method. MSS and three unattached type¬script leaves.
8. Recent Philosophies of History. A notebook containing Sorokin's lecture notes and articles on the subject of recent philosophies and theories of history. MSS, leaves, clippings.
9. Rural Sociology. Three notebooks containing Sorokin's lecture and study notes, statistics, and clippings from a Russian newspaper on the subject of rural sociology in various countries. MSS and clippings.
10. Social Dynamics 10a and 10b. Six notebooks pertaining to Sorokin's lectures and research notes on the subject of Social Dynamics. MSS.
11. Social Organization. A notebook pertaining to Sorokin's lectures and research notes for his sociology course on Social Organization. MSS, leaves, articles.
12. Social Theory. A notebook containing a miscellaneous collection of notes and data on the development of social theory in various countries. MSS.
13. Solidarity. Two notebooks pertaining to Sorokin's lecture and research notes for his Sociology course on Solidarity. MSS with a number of unattached leaves. - photograph of Sorokin, Toynbee and Anderle.
14. Unititled Notes - Biometrical Studies.
a. A notebook containing an assortment of material pertaining to Biometrics, the intelligence of school children, the correlation between social status and intelligence, studies in industrial psychology, fertility of the English middle class, prostitution and mental deficiency, pauperism and heredity, economic status, etc. MSS
b. A notebook containing an assortment of material pertaining to Anthropology, investigation in the military statistics of American soldiers relationship between strength of grip and certain mental and sensory characters, comparative insanity and criminality of farmers and other occupational groups, correlation between the birth and death rates etc. MSS.
c. A notebook containing an assortment of material pertaining to Sorokin's lectures and notes on literature, architecture, sculpture, and painting in various European countries through the centuries.
d. Notes on Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin. Two leaves. MSS
e. Sorokin's research notes on H.T. Moore's "A Method of Testing the strength of Instincts, "The American Journal of Psychology Vol. XXVII, 1916, p. 227-233.
f. Notes and Outlines of several Experimental Research Studies.
g. Notes and outlines - also 20 photographs of paintings and illustrations which have people as their subjects. Captions in Russia